From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: extract an image from a .doc file?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:02:04
1 On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:01:50PM +0100, Penguin Lover Renat Golubchyk squawked:
2 > > It is a 2meg file, but unfortunately, as Mick appears to have
3 > > predicted, it is called simply "Object 1" with no file extension.
4 > >
5 > > Running `file` on it shows it to be a "Microsoft Office Document",
6 > > but it's apparently not the kind you can open in Word.
7 >
8 > Have you tried opening this "Object 1" file in OpenOffice and repeat
9 > the steps above again?
10
11 It would be hilarious if it were "Object N" all the way down.
12
13 I apologize if these have been covered before, but since I don't
14 remember seeing it:
15 (a) Is it not possible to extract that image in Microsoft Word
16 itself? (Opening the file in question in Microsoft Word and saving
17 the image?) What happens if you save the file in Word's funny XML
18 format? (Knowing MS, I wouldn't be too surprised if the image becomes
19 some sort of funny base64 encoded string, but it is still worth a
20 try.)
21 (b) If the Big Wig is already happily letting the computer sign those
22 documents for him, is it prohibitive to try the non-technological
23 measure? E.g., ask the Big Wig to provide another image of his
24 signature?
25 (c) If the image file is that big, it is probably because the
26 original that got included in the doc file has a ridiculously high
27 resolution (maybe they just scanned the signature in, cleaned it up a
28 bit? My signature usually fits in a 1/2 inch by 2 inch block, if
29 scanned at 24-bit color and 600 dpi, this makes almost a 1M raw
30 image). I hope if the processing/storage/bandwidth tax is high
31 enough, an "upstream" fix would not be ruled out directly.
32
33 Also, I do recall that newer versions of MS Word has the capability to
34 compress included images; though it is not used by default.
35
36 Cheers,
37
38 W
41 (04:01:59) W: yep
42 (04:02:02) W: I love linux
43 (04:02:15) NJYWT: I love penguins
44 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1102 days, 13:18