From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: extract an image from a .doc file?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:20:57
1 On 14 Dec 2009, at 14:43, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > ...
3 > (b) If the Big Wig is already happily letting the computer sign those
4 > documents for him, is it prohibitive to try the non-technological
5 > measure? E.g., ask the Big Wig to provide another image of his
6 > signature?
7
8 Oh, for sure.
9
10 I just didn't expect it to be this complicated. I expected to be able
11 to open the document and pretty much to be able to click on the file
12 to ascertain it's file size. I expected to be able to turn around
13 quickly to the boss and say "you'd have saved all this file space if
14 you used a 20kb version instead".
15
16 When I posted here I was kinda expecting someone to be able to suggest
17 a 2- to 5-minute fix. I had no idea it would be this complicated, and
18 now I'm mostly only interested because it has become an interesting
19 problem.
20
21 > (c) If the image file is that big, it is probably because the
22 > original that got included in the doc file has a ridiculously high
23 > resolution (maybe they just scanned the signature in, cleaned it up a
24 > bit? My signature usually fits in a 1/2 inch by 2 inch block, if
25 > scanned at 24-bit color and 600 dpi, this makes almost a 1M raw
26 > image). I hope if the processing/storage/bandwidth tax is high
27 > enough, an "upstream" fix would not be ruled out directly.
28
29 Yeah, I think I have a copy of my signature here which was scanned at
30 about that kinda resolution, stored as a bitmap & has a large
31 filesize. When I discovered how badly it slowed down Word when
32 actually trying to place it in a document it got replaced with a much
33 smaller gif version. The improvement in performance that this
34 eventuated was, to me, slightly unexpected - surely whatever the
35 original format, both images must be stored in RAM in about the same
36 way.
37
38 Stroller.