From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Network works OK internally but can't access Internet - very frustrated
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 13:32:56
1 "Richard Watson" <waty@×××××××××××.au> writes:
2
3 > Hi - After a last emerge --sync I've been having trouble accessing
4 > the internet. My network interface comes up OK. I receive an address
5 > for the DHCP server (i.e. "eth1 received address 192.168.0.7/24")
6 > and I can see and access my Intranet webpage on 192.168.0.xx and
7 > copy files to and from various machines.
8 >
9 > However if trying to access the Internet I keep getting "unknown
10 > host" when pinging sites I know will respond. My machine dual boots
11 > into XP and runs fine.
12 >
13 > I've checked the Gentoo handbook and config files and confirmed my
14 > network config files look OK (they seem to). Can anyone offer any
15 > suggestions?
16
17 Sounds like you aren't getting to a nameserver.
18
19 Check /etc/resolv.conf and make sure there are 1 or more entries for a
20 pingable nameserver:
21
22 It should say something like
23
24 nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx
27 If it does, try ping the ip numbers listed. If that works then the
28 problem is else where.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list