From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another plan for /usr and udev-181
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 04:05:33
1 On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Dale as inspired me to finally do something about udev-181.  Can't
3 > keep my finger in the dike forever.  But I have been thinking of a
4 > different approach.
5 >
6 > What annoys me the most about this forced change is that I like the
7 > old unix style of a single minimal base partition for booting, and
8 > being able to manage all the other partitions while unmounted in
9 > single user mode.  In my case, /usr is an LVM partition precisely
10 > because I want to sit in single user mode while resizing it (it seems
11 > to keep on growing ...).  However, progress marches on, removable
12 > media are taking over, and it's best to not be a luddite all the time.
13 >
14 > So I think I will try the initramfs approach of mounting /usr during
15 > boot.  I don't think this will make growing /usr any easier; single
16 > user mode won't umount it.
17
18 Mmmh. You don't need single user mode anymore with an initramfs (at
19 least with dracut). From dracut.cmdline(7):
20
21 rd.break={cmdline|pre-udev|pre-trigger|initqueue|pre-mount|mount|pre-pivot}
22 drop to a shell on defined breakpoint
23
24 You add that to your kernel command line in GRUB/GRUB2, and it drops
25 you tou a shell before doing the mount (pre-mount). Then you only need
26 to put the necessary LVM tools in the initramfs; since my LVM
27 installation is 3.13 MB, it sounds like a reasonable feature. Or you
28 can have a "fat" initramfs (with another GRUB entry) for resizing LVM
29 volumes, and a "slim" normal initramfs with its corresponding GRUB
30 entry.
31
32 Other way in which (IMHO) an initramfs is a better option that
33 stuffing everything and the kitchen sink on /.
34
35 My 0.02 ${CURRENCY}.
36
37 Regards.