From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 23:58:09
1 On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 20:59:47 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > No way on 32-bit Athlon. I have Athlon-XP. Even with distcc to
4 > > Core2Duo it takes about 10 days of compilation time to build all
5 > > stuff, I'm not counting time to fix all failures here. Well, I have
6 > > >3000 packages installed...
7 >
8 > He's going to have to compile all the user-space stuff either way
9 > (upgrade or fresh install), so how long that takes is moot.
10
11 Except that with an upgrade the old versions are still there and,
12 usually, usable while compiling the new.
16 Neil Bothwick
17
18 Adolescence, n.: The stage between puberty and adultery.