From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 21:00:16
1 On 2015-08-04, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 17:20:40 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2015-08-04, Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > That's right, May 2011, my first and only Gentoo installation, 32 bit on an
6 >> > old Athlon, which means no sse2, and kernel 2.6.37. It coexists in multiboot
7 >> > on one HD with 12 installations of Fedora and openSUSE. I'd like to upgrade
8 >> > it rather than installing fresh,
9 >>
10 >> Can we ask why?
11 >>
12 >> > if it's doable.
13 >>
14 >> It probably is (for some degnerate value of "doable").
15 >>
16 >> My gut feeling is that a fresh install is going to be a _lot_ easier
17 >> and faster. A fresh install will take a couple hours.
18 >
19 > With all userspace software?
20
21 No. I'm just talking about the basic OS stuff.
22
23 > No way on 32-bit Athlon. I have Athlon-XP. Even with distcc to
24 > Core2Duo it takes about 10 days of compilation time to build all
25 > stuff, I'm not counting time to fix all failures here. Well, I have
26 > >3000 packages installed...
27
28 He's going to have to compile all the user-space stuff either way
29 (upgrade or fresh install), so how long that takes is moot.
32 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I wish I was on a
33 at Cincinnati street corner
34 gmail.com holding a clean dog!