From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: want to upgrade 50 month old installation
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 20:54:25
1 On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 17:20:40 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2015-08-04, Felix Miata <mrmazda@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > > That's right, May 2011, my first and only Gentoo installation, 32 bit on an
5 > > old Athlon, which means no sse2, and kernel 2.6.37. It coexists in multiboot
6 > > on one HD with 12 installations of Fedora and openSUSE. I'd like to upgrade
7 > > it rather than installing fresh,
8 >
9 > Can we ask why?
10 >
11 > > if it's doable.
12 >
13 > It probably is (for some degnerate value of "doable").
14 >
15 > My gut feeling is that a fresh install is going to be a _lot_ easier
16 > and faster. A fresh install will take a couple hours.
17
18 With all userspace software? No way on 32-bit Athlon. I have
19 Athlon-XP. Even with distcc to Core2Duo it takes about 10 days
20 of compilation time to build all stuff, I'm not counting time to
21 fix all failures here. Well, I have >3000 packages installed...
22
23 > An upgrade will
24 > take somewhere between a couple days and a couple weeks.
27 Best regards,
28 Andrew Savchenko