From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 18:12:50
1 On 09/02/14 18:21, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 >On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:50:02 -0600, Joseph wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have tried it on two boxes, they are both small units without CD
5 >> 1.) First is an older box that can not boot from Gentoo ISO USB
6 >> generated with "dd" BIOS setting are:
7 >> USB-ZIP
8 >> USB-FDD
9 >> Hard Disk
10 >>
11 >> 2.) The second box is an ATOM-330 and the same USB boots OK.
12 >>
13 >> So the issue might be with the Bios on the first box.
14 >
15 >There's no "might" about it. At no time in this long thread did you
16 >mention that you had successfully booted the stick in another computer
17 >AFAIR. All along the stick was fine and the problem was limited to one
18 >particular computer, and old one that apparently has problems booting
19 >from some USB devices.
20 >
21 >You may find that toggling some of the USB settings in the BIOS helps.
24 >--
25 >Neil Bothwick
26 >
27 >You can't teach a new mouse old clicks.
28
29 It is very confusing.
30 The box 1.) (above) I was testing it on my old USB stick I generated few years ago (it boots OK), it boots USB stick generated by Systemrescue CD.
31 It does not boot USB stick I generated a new one (manually), nor does it boot USB stick generated by "DD" or UNetbootin
32
33 The second box after checking second time it boots USB stick generated by "dd" and Systemrescue CD but it will not boot USB stick generated manually or by UNetbootin
34
35 Apology the this long thread, but I'm still confused. I could understand why it would not boot USB stick generated manually but why it will not boot USB stick
36 generatd by UNetbootin but it boots stick generated by Systemrescue CD
39 Joseph