From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:09:40
1 On Tue, 2 Sep 2014 12:12:43 -0600, Joseph wrote:
2
3 > It is very confusing.
4 > The box 1.) (above) I was testing it on my old USB stick I generated
5 > few years ago (it boots OK), it boots USB stick generated by
6 > Systemrescue CD. It does not boot USB stick I generated a new one
7 > (manually), nor does it boot USB stick generated by "DD" or UNetbootin
8
9 How do you generate a USB stick manually? What does that even mean?
10
11 > The second box after checking second time it boots USB stick generated
12 > by "dd" and Systemrescue CD but it will not boot USB stick generated
13 > manually or by UNetbootin
14
15 UNetbootin only works with some distros, it is not a universal solution
16 like hybrid ISOs. IMO it is redundant now we have hybrid ISOs and in my
17 experience, very few distros are not hybrid nowadays. So forget
18 Unetbootin.
19
20 > Apology the this long thread, but I'm still confused. I could
21 > understand why it would not boot USB stick generated manually but why
22 > it will not boot USB stick generatd by UNetbootin but it boots stick
23 > generated by Systemrescue CD
24
25 Because they create the stick in different ways, and there are several
26 different types of USB device to emulate when doing so. If the only ISO
27 that will boot from your computer on a USB stick is System Rescue Cd, use
28 that. It's one of the best distros for installing Gentoo anyway.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 "There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make
35 it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way
36 is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
37 The first method is far more difficult" -C.A.R. Hoare