From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Audio through second HDMI output on GPU?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 17:42:34
1 On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 10:09 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Arve Barsnes wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 18:22, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> If you ever figure it out, please post what did it. I watch TV from my
6 > >> puter too. Right now, I tell Smplayer to send audio to the TV by
7 giving
8 > >> it the device name like you did. Thing is, none of the entries in the
9 > >> drop down menu in settings works. Odd but it is what it is.
10 > > Might be worth checking if the smplayer front-end is messing something
11 > > up, by going straight through mpv. My last steps for playing video
12 > > through the TV, with the audio going there as well:
13 > >
14 > > Get a list of all the audio devices on your system.
15 > > $ mpv --audio-device=help
16 > >
17 > > Use the correct device in your video command.
18 > > DISPLAY=:0.1 mpv --audio-device=alsa/hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -fs
19 video.mkv
20 > >
21 > > Also check what Mark mentioned about muted channels on the output card
22 > > through alsamixer.
23 > >
24 > > Regards,
25 > > Arve
30 > When I set mine up, I just set output driver to user defined and entered
31 > alsa:device=hw=1.7 in settings. I only want Smplayer to output to the
32 > TV. Everything else goes to the speakers hooked to the computer itself.
33 >
34 > The day may come when I use something other than Smplayer to watch TV
35 > tho. If, or when, that day comes I'll have to figure out how to get the
36 > audio to work with it. Right now, I'm still able to use the old gnome
37 > player still. It's going to die one day tho since it is no longer
38 > maintained.
39 >
40 > I do find these audio topics interesting tho. It seems it should be
41 > easy to send sound to any place it can go but it isn't easy to do for
42 > real. It seems it is a problem for a lot of people doing what I think
43 > is at least somewhat common.
44 >
45 > Either way, glad you got it working. It took me days to figure out mine
46 > too.
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
50 > :-) :-)
51
52 Dale and Arve,
53 As I do home studio type recording using Linux I always find this topic
54 quite interesting but because of the more complicated setup of my audio
55 environment which makes use of a Hammerfall DSP card driving the speaker
56 but utilizes the internal Intel sound card for general audio, along with
57 cables outside to hook the two together, I'm just not sure what I see on my
58 system is very helpful to you two. Nonetheless I do have an older NVidia
59 GPU and would like to understand what's going on with all of this.
60
61 A couple of requests:
62
63 1) instead of aplay -l please run aplay -L
64
65 2) Also provide the output of
66
67 cat /proc/asound/card2/codec#0
68
69 Note: Your card number may well be different than mine card0=Hammerfall,
70 card1=Internal Intel sound, card2=NVidia
71
72 Also, there is an old (2014) document online from NVidia that provides a
73 lot of info on Alsa device naming and how NVidia GPUs handle audio. It's
74 one of the better ones I've found online making the dangerous assumption
75 that it hasn't all changed. There's lots of info in this document about
76 system config edits for non-pulseaudio users and things that might possibly
77 be of interest to Gentoo users with configuration more like Arve's, but
78 again, that's a guess on my part.
79
80 https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/
81