From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Audio through second HDMI output on GPU?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 17:09:09
1 Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Sun, 23 May 2021 at 18:22, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> If you ever figure it out, please post what did it. I watch TV from my
4 >> puter too. Right now, I tell Smplayer to send audio to the TV by giving
5 >> it the device name like you did. Thing is, none of the entries in the
6 >> drop down menu in settings works. Odd but it is what it is.
7 > Might be worth checking if the smplayer front-end is messing something
8 > up, by going straight through mpv. My last steps for playing video
9 > through the TV, with the audio going there as well:
10 >
11 > Get a list of all the audio devices on your system.
12 > $ mpv --audio-device=help
13 >
14 > Use the correct device in your video command.
15 > DISPLAY=:0.1 mpv --audio-device=alsa/hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 -fs video.mkv
16 >
17 > Also check what Mark mentioned about muted channels on the output card
18 > through alsamixer.
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 > Arve
26 When I set mine up, I just set output driver to user defined and entered
27 alsa:device=hw=1.7 in settings.  I only want Smplayer to output to the
28 TV.  Everything else goes to the speakers hooked to the computer itself.
29
30 The day may come when I use something other than Smplayer to watch TV
31 tho.  If, or when, that day comes I'll have to figure out how to get the
32 audio to work with it.  Right now, I'm still able to use the old gnome
33 player still.  It's going to die one day tho since it is no longer
34 maintained.
35
36 I do find these audio topics interesting tho.  It seems it should be
37 easy to send sound to any place it can go but it isn't easy to do for
38 real.  It seems it is a problem for a lot of people doing what I think
39 is at least somewhat common.
40
41 Either way, glad you got it working.  It took me days to figure out mine
42 too.
43
44 Dale
45