From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 15:41:04
1 On Sunday 28 May 2006 07:53, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > I don't know what 'upgrade guide' you have read, but:
4 >
5 > The gcc upgrade doc. The one, to which there is a link in the GWN.
6 >
7 > > Which part of the upgrade guide did you not follw?
8 >
9 > I followed the part, which said, that no additional work was required. The
10 > part, which is now gone. The part, in the first green box.
11 >
12 > >>And it said, that 4.1.1 was supposed to be binary compatible to 3.4.6.
13 > >
14 > > it did not say so some weeks ago, and it does not say so today.
15 >
16 > It said so, right after 4.1.1 was unmasked and the GWN was released.
17 >
18 > >>> in such cases a rebuild of the affected packages
19 > >>>(or even whole toolchain and system) might be required.
20 > >>
21 > >>And thus, a rebuild of world/tc/system wouldn't be required.
22 > >
23 > > wrong., read again.
24 >
25 > Yes, please FINALLY do so. Read it! At least once!
26
27 I read it, several times. And never stated it, that no -e system/world is
28 needed. MAybe YOU looked at it in a wrong moment?
29 But even if there was such a box - GWN did NOT state, that it was absolutly
30 riskless. You are talking bullshit!
33 > I behave like someone, who's been told to do "a" and now "b" is expected.
34 >
35 > >>Where was there a Qt update?
36 > >
37 > > like the qt3.3.0 to 3.3.2 or 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 updates? or 3.2 to 3.3?
38 >
39 > So? Where was there an update?
40
41 some weeks/month ago?
42 There were many qt updates in the past. And each of them required to reemerge
43 some kde packages. But it seems, that you don't want to understand that.
47 > > yes it does.
48 >
49 > When did a non-update require something like this? Please be exact!
50
51 I wrote it above! Until now every qt update that ever happened, broke some qt
52 apps. Every! But you don't read, you are just sullen.
53
54 You are pretty deep in 'Beleidigte Leberwurst' mode.
59 > Wrong. It still does. You should read it.
60 >
61 > > It said:
62 > > The number of applications that do not compile with gcc-4.1 is extremely
63 > > small now, and most users should not experience any problems with ~arch
64 > > packages not compiling.
65 >
66 > So, what? Who's complaining about packages which don't compile because of
67 > gcc-4.1.1?
70 I have read it, and I have quoted it. You are pretty obviously not able to
71 understand. Two possible reasons: you don't want to understand, or you are
72 stupid. Choose which one fits best.
73
74 It said most people should not experience any problems.
75
76 See? 'MOST' - most is not everybody. And 'SHOULD NOT ' which is very different
77 from 'won't'.
78
79 But you are not willing to see, that YOU are the one, who did not read it
80 carefully, do you? You jumped into the unknown water and now, you are
81 complaining, that it is cold.
82 --
83 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list