From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 06:04:53
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > I don't know what 'upgrade guide' you have read, but:
3
4 The gcc upgrade doc. The one, to which there is a link in the GWN.
5
6 > Which part of the upgrade guide did you not follw?
7
8 I followed the part, which said, that no additional work was required. The
9 part, which is now gone. The part, in the first green box.
10
11 >>And it said, that 4.1.1 was supposed to be binary compatible to 3.4.6.
12 >
13 > it did not say so some weeks ago, and it does not say so today.
14
15 It said so, right after 4.1.1 was unmasked and the GWN was released.
18 >>> in such cases a rebuild of the affected packages
19 >>>(or even whole toolchain and system) might be required.
20 >
21 >>And thus, a rebuild of world/tc/system wouldn't be required.
22 >
23 > wrong., read again.
24
25 Yes, please FINALLY do so. Read it! At least once!
26
27 > It says 'that a rebuild of system (which is a rebuild of
28 > the toolchain), might be required.
29
30 It didn't say so. It (basically) said, that no additional work would be
31 required.
32
33 > You behave like someone who never experienced a gcc-update.
34
35 I behave like someone, who's been told to do "a" and now "b" is expected.
36
37 >>Where was there a Qt update?
38 >
39 > like the qt3.3.0 to 3.3.2 or 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 updates? or 3.2 to 3.3?
40
41 So? Where was there an update?
42
43 I said, that I recompiled Qt 3 and Qt 4.
44
45 Now YOU explain, where there was an update. BTW: Updating without changing
46 the version or revision is no update.
47
48 >>No, it doesn't.
49 >
50 > yes it does.
51
52 When did a non-update require something like this? Please be exact!
53
54 >>>> Did you try to compile glib? No? Then I guess you've done no testing.
55 >>
56 >>>if he does not have glib?
57 >
58 >>Then he installs it.
59 >
60 > so, he should install something he does not need and 'test' it, to satisfy
61 > your needs?
62
63 Not MY needs, no. But to be able to say that all is fine, when it has been
64 posted here, that glib is one of the culprits.
65
66 > Why should he?
67
68 To verify what he's saying.
69
70 >>And also pardon me, when I'm annoyed because of too bold statements
71 >>which turn out to be wrong. If it says "no problems expected", then
72 > t>>at's what I expect. I don't expect to run into deep problems. And
73 >>the GWN and upgrade doc clearly stated, that there were no problems
74 >>to be expected.
77 > No, it did not.
78
79 Wrong. It still does. You should read it.
80
81 > It said:
82 > The number of applications that do not compile with gcc-4.1 is extremely
83 > small now, and most users should not experience any problems with ~arch
84 > packages not compiling.
85
86 So, what? Who's complaining about packages which don't compile because of
87 gcc-4.1.1?
88
89 > see?
90
91 Yes. You're misinterpreting what's written there. You should read it again.
92 And again. And again. Maybe you'll finally understand what's written there.
93
94 > 'most users' and '~arch packages'
95
96 So?
97
98 > You are just sulking around,
99
100 I'm not sulking around. I just expect, that what's written there is true.
101
102 And it's not.
103
104 >>I deal with them just fine.
105 >
106 > so why are you doing this 'Zwergenaufstand'?
107
108 Because of broken expectations.
109
110 Alexander Skwar
111 --
112 Love may laugh at locksmiths, but he has a profound respect for money bags.
113 -- Sidney Paternoster, "The Folly of the Wise"
114 --
115 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list