From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1: emerge -e world required?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 20:44:41
1 I don't know what 'upgrade guide' you have read, but:
2
3 Now let's rebuild toolchain and then world so we will make use of the new
4 compiler.
5 Code Listing 2.2: Rebuilding system
6 # emerge -eav system
7 # emerge -eav world
10 and glibc is part of the system.
11
12 Which part of the upgrade guide did you not follw?
13
14 >And it said, that 4.1.1 was supposed to be binary compatible to 3.4.6.
15
16 it did not say so some weeks ago, and it does not say so today. Or whenever
17 else I looked at that document.
18
19 >> in such cases a rebuild of the affected packages
20 >>(or even whole toolchain and system) might be required.
21
22 >And thus, a rebuild of world/tc/system wouldn't be required.
23
24 wrong., read again. It says 'that a rebuild of system (which is a rebuild of
25 the toolchain), might be required. And experience tells, that it IS required.
26
27 You behave like someone who never experienced a gcc-update. How long are you
28 using gentoo? 4 weeks? 6 month?
29
30 >Where was there a Qt update?
31
32 like the qt3.3.0 to 3.3.2 or 3.3.3 or 3.3.4 updates? or 3.2 to 3.3?
33
34 >No, it doesn't.
35
36 yes it does. A lot of times. Sometimes even a qt -rX update forces a kdelibs
37 recompile.
40 >>> Did you try to compile glib? No? Then I guess you've done no testing.
41 >
42 >>if he does not have glib?
43
44 >Then he installs it.
45
46 so, he should install something he does not need and 'test' it, to satisfy
47 your needs? Why should he? If you want glib tested, do it yourself. Or are
48 you too grand and important? Why should anybody test something FOR YOU?
49 Or are you complaining, that his tests does not cover YOUR needs?
50
51 NEWSFLASH: this is gentoo, everybody has a slightly different system.
54 >And also pardon me, when I'm annoyed because of too bold statements
55 >which turn out to be wrong. If it says "no problems expected", then
56 t>>at's what I expect. I don't expect to run into deep problems. And
57 >the GWN and upgrade doc clearly stated, that there were no problems
58 >to be expected.
61 No, it did not.
62
63 It said:
64 The number of applications that do not compile with gcc-4.1 is extremely
65 small now, and most users should not experience any problems with ~arch
66 packages not compiling.
67
68 see? 'most users' and '~arch packages'
69
70 And not 'everything that Alexander Skwar, the superduper user everybody loves,
71 and whose system is THE pinnacle of how a gentoo system should look like, has
72 installed, will work flawlessly.'
75 You are just sulking around, and it becomes less and less funny.
76
77 >I deal with them just fine.
78
79 so why are you doing this 'Zwergenaufstand'?
80 --
81 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list