From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:42:06
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Harry <hputnam3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > How can one tell how far along a kernel compile is?  I can see the modules being
3 > built in /var/log/genkernel.log
4 >   (Aside: Please, no hysteria about using genkernel)
5 >
6 > But I'd like to know of some way to guesstimate how much of the process is
7 > completed.  Is there a list the compile has generated and is following somewhere
8 > under /usr/src/linux? Or some other way of knowing where the compile is in terms
9 > of percentage completed?
10
11 All I can think of is: time it. Maybe you can create a wrapper script
12 to time it, record times (for successful builds only) and measure
13 progress based on estimated time remaining. Kind of like what genlop
14 does with emerge logs.