From: Harry <hputnam3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:06:34
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Harry <hputnam3@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> How can one tell how far along a kernel compile is?  I can see the
5 >> modules being
6 >> built in /var/log/genkernel.log
7 >>   (Aside: Please, no hysteria about using genkernel)
8 >>
9 >> But I'd like to know of some way to guesstimate how much of the
10 >> process is completed.  Is there a list the compile has generated
11 >> and is following somewhere under /usr/src/linux? Or some other way
12 >> of knowing where the compile is in terms of percentage completed?
13 >
14 > All I can think of is: time it. Maybe you can create a wrapper
15 > script to time it, record times (for successful builds only) and
16 > measure progress based on estimated time remaining. Kind of like
17 > what genlop does with emerge logs.
18
19 Sounds like there is no real way unless as you say. I've been
20 wrestling with kernel build after kernel build trying to get a new
21 install booted. Many failures led me to finally resorting to
22 genkernel... but you may know already that is a full day of compile at
23 least.
24
25 But I'm seeing really massive times even on the trimmed down kernels
26 where I've set only known things I need.
27
28 This is happening in a chroot from sysrescueCD on an older P4 with 2G
29 ram. But my god, I'm seeing hrs and hrs of compile time go by even on
30 a lean mean menuconfig produced .config.
31
32 Is this pretty normal?