From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:19:33
1 On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Harry <hputnam3@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Sounds like there is no real way unless as you say.  I've been
3 > wrestling with kernel build after kernel build trying to get a new
4 > install booted.  Many failures led me to finally resorting to
5 > genkernel... but you may know already that is a full day of compile at
6 > least.
7 >
8 > But I'm seeing really massive times even on the trimmed down kernels
9 > where I've set only known things I need.
10 >
11 > This is happening in a chroot from sysrescueCD on an older P4 with 2G
12 > ram.  But my god, I'm seeing hrs and hrs of compile time go by even on
13 > a lean mean menuconfig produced .config.
14 >
15 > Is this pretty normal?
16
17 No, I don't think that's normal... for that CPU it should be something
18 like 10-15 minutes maybe.