From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel compiles ... monitoring
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:18:44
1 On 09/26/11 19:04, Harry wrote:
2 >
3 > Sounds like there is no real way unless as you say. I've been
4 > wrestling with kernel build after kernel build trying to get a new
5 > install booted. Many failures led me to finally resorting to
6 > genkernel... but you may know already that is a full day of compile at
7 > least.
8 >
9 > But I'm seeing really massive times even on the trimmed down kernels
10 > where I've set only known things I need.
11 >
12 > This is happening in a chroot from sysrescueCD on an older P4 with 2G
13 > ram. But my god, I'm seeing hrs and hrs of compile time go by even on
14 > a lean mean menuconfig produced .config.
15 >
16 > Is this pretty normal?
19 Don't forget, you have to pass "-j $JOBS" to make manually when building
20 the kernel. Using -j2 should speed *any* machine up. The optimal number
21 depends on your machine though.