From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Back to openrc from systemd
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:54:52
1 On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:09 AM, Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt> wrote:
2 > On 2013-03-22, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM, João Matos <jaoneto@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Hi list,
6 >>>
7 >>> do you know some guide to switch form systemd to openrc, or keep both? I
8 >>> googled and I didn't find.
9 >>>
10 >>> The motivation is that I'm studing many server stuff, and I'm tired of
11 >>> search for alternatives to systemd (that is really good). I also set up some
12 >>> servers, using openrc on them, so, sometimes I like to reproduce the
13 >>> configuration o my machine.
14 >>>
15 >>> If possible, I prefer to keep both. If not, I'll switch back to openrc.
16 >>>
17 >>> I've enable the openrc user flag, updated the system, I created a grub
18 >>> entrace, and everything seems to work pretty well on openrc, but I cant
19 >>> start the X. "no screens found", but dbus, udev and consolekit are started
20 >>> without error.
21 >>>
22 >>> Everything is working with systemd.
23 >>
24 >> For "server stuff", you should have no problem. If the machine where
25 >> you want to have both systemd and OpenRC also works as a desktop
26 >> workstation, right now that is not possible; there are several desktop
27 >> packages that cannot decide at run time if they use systemd (actually,
28 >> logind) or ConsoleKit (polkit being the most obvious).
29 >
30 > Are these packages essential or the like? I don't think my desktop
31 > systems have dependencies either on systemd or polkit/consolekit.
32
33 If you don't need user session monitoring for anything (which is what
34 ConsoleKit and logind provides), nor interactive privilege granting
35 (which is what polkit provides), then I believe you will have no
36 problems switching OpenRC and systemd withouth needing to recompile
37 anything. However, that means no upower and no udisks at least; GNOME
38 cannot run without any of those. XFCE needs them if the udev USE flag
39 is enabled, which is enabled by default in Gentoo desktop profiles,
40 and in KDE the three of them are optional dependencies turned on by
41 default. You can turn them of in XFCE and KDE, but you kinda lose
42 functionality without them.
43
44 > What is logind used for?
45
46 User session monitoring, as ConsoleKit did, only better:
47
48 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/logind
49
50 Regards.