From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Back to openrc from systemd
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:09:06
1 On 2013-03-22, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM, João Matos <jaoneto@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi list,
5 >>
6 >> do you know some guide to switch form systemd to openrc, or keep both? I
7 >> googled and I didn't find.
8 >>
9 >> The motivation is that I'm studing many server stuff, and I'm tired of
10 >> search for alternatives to systemd (that is really good). I also set up some
11 >> servers, using openrc on them, so, sometimes I like to reproduce the
12 >> configuration o my machine.
13 >>
14 >> If possible, I prefer to keep both. If not, I'll switch back to openrc.
15 >>
16 >> I've enable the openrc user flag, updated the system, I created a grub
17 >> entrace, and everything seems to work pretty well on openrc, but I cant
18 >> start the X. "no screens found", but dbus, udev and consolekit are started
19 >> without error.
20 >>
21 >> Everything is working with systemd.
22 >
23 > For "server stuff", you should have no problem. If the machine where
24 > you want to have both systemd and OpenRC also works as a desktop
25 > workstation, right now that is not possible; there are several desktop
26 > packages that cannot decide at run time if they use systemd (actually,
27 > logind) or ConsoleKit (polkit being the most obvious).
28
29 Are these packages essential or the like? I don't think my desktop
30 systems have dependencies either on systemd or polkit/consolekit.
31
32 What is logind used for?
33
34 > So you'll need to remove the systemd USE flag, add the consolekit one,
35 > and recompile the necessary packages to get back to a systemd-less
36 > desktop. Be aware that ConsoleKit is basically dead; it has no
37 > upstream, no new features are being developed for it, and I don't
38 > think even basic security bugs are actively fixed. Everything that
39 > depended on ConsoleKit has switched or is considering switching to
40 > logind, which right now is provided only by systemd (Canonical is
41 > working in an alternative implementation, and I believe some *BSD guys
42 > were also looking into the matter).
43 >
44 > When the logind alternative implementations are ready, maybe it will
45 > be possible to again boot to both OpenRC and systemd with the same
46 > binaries; right now is not possible.
47 >
48 > Regards.
51 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
52 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/