From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Making sure I am a good netizen and secure.
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:24:31
1 On Sunday 06 September 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-09-05, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The cheapest solution by far to networking a second PC in the
4 > > LAN is to use your first PC as a router and forward packets
5 > > through it.
6 >
7 > Buying an Ethernet switch is probably a lot easier.
8
9 Well I'm not sure about the 'easier' part. I would have thought that it is
10 easier to run something like:
11
12 echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
13 iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
14 iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
15
16 (This needs checking because it's just off the top of my head.)
17
18 You'll need two NICs, or one NIC and a wireless adaptor on your 'router PC'.
19
20 However, it is not convenient to always have to boot your first PC up, before
21 any other machines in the house can connect to the Internet. So an external
22 switch/router is probably the most convenient solution.
23
24 > > The second option is to buy another router. In this case I
25 > > recommend that you use your Motorola in fully bridged mode
26 > > where it acts as a transparent ADSL modem (look through its
27 > > GUI and read the manual as to how to achieve this) and use
28 > > your new router to achieve PPPoE authentication with your
29 > > ISP's network.
30 >
31 > The ISP and the 2210 may or may not allow that.
32
33 Unless the 2210 has crippled firmware by the ISP, it should be able to act as
34 a transparent (fully bridged) modem. All NAT-ing, DHCP, DNS repeating, etc
35 will then happen at the router behind it.
36
37 I doubt that the ISP will not allow it, however, their support staff will
38 undoubtedly go through their MSWindows specific troubleshooting scripts first
39 and after they ask you to reboot your (MSWindows) PC they will probably tell
40 you that they do not support the 2210 in bridged mode and ask you to switch
41 it in router mode so that they can access it remotely.
42 --
43 Regards,
44 Mick