From: Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem while writing ebuild
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 10:53:43
1 Am Donnerstag, 4. Mai 2017, 11:59:37 CEST schrieb Danny YUE:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As a noob in ebuild files, I got some problems while created my own
5 > ebuild. I googled a lot but did not really find any clue.
6 >
7 > Let's say package A has features B and C. They are Github repositories
8 > and A is the entry, while B and C are submodules.
9 >
10 > Now I want to make it three different packages respectively, and use USE
11 > flags to control which to install just like texlive.
12 >
13 > 1) I know I can add USE `B' and `C' into `IUSE' variable, but if I run
14 > `equery u A', those flags are listed but with an "<unknown>"
15 > description. Where can I add some description information?
16
17 In general, these descriptions are in XML files. Globally used flags (e.g. 'X'
18 or 'python') are set in the portage profiles (search for ".desc" in the
19 portage tree[1]). Flags used only by certain packages are in the ebuild dir in
20 metadata.xml[2]. I suggest you take a look into www-client/firefox’s
21 metadata.xml, because it uses even descriptions with line breaks. (Avoid the
22 look into firefox’s ebuild, though :D)
23
24 > 2) Only A has Github release URL, B and C by default should be fetched
25 > via `git submodule...'. How am I supposed to fetch these packages in my
26 > ebuild file? Download inside `src_unpack'?
27
28 Sorry, I don’t know much about git submodule. Maybe there’s something useful
29 in git-r3.eclass (eclass/git-r3.eclass).
30
31 > Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
34 > Danny
35
36 [1] find /usr/portage/ -iname "*desc"
37 [2] find /usr/portage/ -iname "*metadata.xml"
38
39 Nils
40
41 PS: Great you write ebuilds - keep going on and suggest bugfixes for broken
42 ebuilds later! :)
45 GPG fingerprint: '00EF D31F 1B60 D5DB ADB8 31C1 C0EC E696 0E54 475B'
46 Nils Freydank