From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 16:06:40
1 On Apr 19, 2013 11:14 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:i
2 >
3 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >> On Apr 19, 2013 10:24 PM, "Jarry" <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> >
8 >> > On 19-Apr-13 16:21, Tanstaafl wrote:
9 >> >
10 >> >> Previously I had asked for some help with a preconfigured image, but
11 >> >> decided against that, and have been playing and reading.
12 >> >>
13 >> >> I'm ready to get down to brass tacks with the ultimate goal of
14 getting a
15 >> >> new gentoo vm up and running on my esxi host this weekend.
16 >> >>
17 >> >> Can someone point me to some recent/decent docs on best practices for
18 >> >> this? Ideally gentoo related, but just general linux related would be
19 ok
20 >> >> too.
21 >> >>
22 >> >> Things like vmware-tools installation (is open-vm-tools good enough
23 >> >> nowadays?), time syncing, snapshots/backups, etc is what I'm looking
24 for.
25 >> >
26 >> >
27 >> > May I join the club? I have been running a few Gentoo-VMs
28 >> > for some time, but I'm still quite new to this "ESXi-world".
29 >> > But one I know for sure is that hypervisor-virtualization
30 >> > is much more complex than OS-virtualization (i.e. VServer
31 >> > or OpenVZ which I have used previously).
32 >> >
33 >> > vmware-tools: I have tested open-vm-tools but now I'm running
34 >> > my VMs without them because every kernel upgrade was a real
35 >> > pain in a**. And trully I did not see any benefit in running
36 >> > vm-tools (maybe it would be different on desktop). For
37 >> > shutdown of Gentoo-VMs from ESXi I use ssh-script or
38 >> > hibernation.
39 >> >
40 >> > Snapshots are very well covered by esxi and for backup I use
41 >> > ghetto-vcb tool (script). It tried backup&restore on one
42 >> > of my running Gentoo-VM servers and it works like charm.
43 >> >
44 >> > For VM-hardware I used (iirc) CentOS template, because
45 >> > with "other linux 64b" I did not get hw-options I wanted
46 >> > to use (LSI-Logic Parallel SCSI controller, and VMXNET3
47 >> > network adapter).
48 >> >
49 >> > Unfortunatelly there is not a lot info about Gentoo & ESXi
50 >> > and what exists is quite outdated (i.e. Gentoo-wiki). But
51 >> > I used guidelines for general linux-VM, and I consulted
52 >> > problems on VMware community web-page...
53 >> >
54 >> > Jarry
55 >> > --
56 >>
57 >> Well, for me, XenServer-based virtualization is very very simple. And if
58 I compile the kernel with all Xen PV (paravirtualized) 'FrontEnds', it runs
59 near-natively.
60 >>
61 >> Only the xend daemon need some 'tweaking' to run properly.
62 >>
63 >> Do a Google search for "gentoo xenserver" and if you find pages written
64 by me, those are my experiences running Gentoo on top of XenServer,
65 successfully.
66 >>
67 >> Rgds,
68 >> --
71 > Pandu.
72 >
73 > Do you still use xend on your Xen hosts?
74 > I thought that was deprecated?
77 Ah, sorry. What I meant was xstools daemon. It's necessary to properly
78 monitor Linux PV guests on XenServer.
79
80 It's apparently a simple shell script, which commits suicide when it can't
81 determine what Linux distro it's running in. Need to add several lines of
82 code within the script to enable it to recognize Gentoo and not commit
83 suicide.
84
85 XenCenter/CloudStack will.afterwards detect that the machine is running
86 Gentoo. Won't affect anything, but better than it reporting "unknown Linux"
87 :-)
88
89 Rgds,