From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 09:33:28
1 On Sat, April 20, 2013 18:06, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Apr 19, 2013 11:14 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:i
3
4 <SNIPPED>
5
6 >> Pandu.
7 >>
8 >> Do you still use xend on your Xen hosts?
9 >> I thought that was deprecated?
12 > Ah, sorry. What I meant was xstools daemon. It's necessary to properly
13 > monitor Linux PV guests on XenServer.
14 >
15 > It's apparently a simple shell script, which commits suicide when it can't
16 > determine what Linux distro it's running in. Need to add several lines of
17 > code within the script to enable it to recognize Gentoo and not commit
18 > suicide.
19 >
20 > XenCenter/CloudStack will.afterwards detect that the machine is running
21 > Gentoo. Won't affect anything, but better than it reporting "unknown
22 > Linux"
23 > :-)
24
25 That's useful to know. I tend to use binary distro's on the XCP-server
26 myself. But that is because that machine is used to quickly test large
27 applications where I need to ensure the presence of libraries packaged
28 with certain Redhat versions.
31 Joost