From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Different servers behind the same router
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:30:16
1 Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > Looks like my ISP allows both PPPoE and PPPoA.
3 > After some superficial googling it looks like PPPoE is preferred over
4 > ethernet modems and PPPoA over USB ones... Is it true?
5
6 Nope. PPPoA is preferred generally, although not strongly so. The
7 difference should be very minor, but if it's for free, why not use it?
10 > By the way what I need to do is to enable CONFIG_ATM and
11 > CONFIG_PPPOATM in the kernel and reemerge ppp with the "atm" USE flag.
12 >
13 > Then I need to change " plugins_ppp1=( "pppoe") " into " plugins_ppp1=(
14 > "pppoa vc-encaps") " in my /etc/conf.d/net.
15 >
16 > Is that all I need to have PPPoA working?
17
18 Not sure, since I'm on a DSL NAT router/modem that connects to my ISP
19 with PPPoA and to the PC with ethernet. But you can just try and see.