From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Different servers behind the same router
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:38:22
1 On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:36:55AM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Momesso Andrea wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:52:13PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
4 >>> On 3 Feb 2009, at 17:43, Momesso Andrea wrote:
5 >>>> ...
6 >>>> What happens if I decide to switch to the "router" configuration? If I
7 >>>> have a single IP for all the machines in the LAN, when someone from the
8 >>>> outside will try to connect to homeserver.foo or to webserver.bar, will
9 >>>> they be routed to the correct machine?
10 >>> No, they will all reach the router's IP address. It will have an option
11 >>> for "port forwarding" so that you can forward port 80 to the webserver
12 >>> and ports 25 & 110 to the mail server. If you have two webservers behind
13 >>> the router then you need to use one to proxy forward to the other.
14 >>>
15 >>> "NAT" is another Google keyword.
16 >>>
17 >>> Stroller.
18 >> Is it correct to say that the configuration I alredy have (pppoe and
19 >> different IPs) is the best choice?
20 >
21 > Since your ISP offers you the option to have two different IP, yes that the
22 > best choice. Over here I would have to pay quite some money to get an
23 > extra IP. So you're lucky I guess.
24 >
25 > Also, if your ISP allows PPPoA too instead of only PPPoE, use that instead.
26 > It's a bit more optimal due to less overhead. But it's not critical or
27 > something. Just a little and safe optimization.
30 Looks like my ISP allows both PPPoE and PPPoA.
31 After some superficial googling it looks like PPPoE is preferred over
32 ethernet modems and PPPoA over USB ones... Is it true?
33
34 By the way what I need to do is to enable CONFIG_ATM and
35 CONFIG_PPPOATM in the kernel and reemerge ppp with the "atm" USE flag.
36
37 Then I need to change " plugins_ppp1=( "pppoe") " into " plugins_ppp1=(
38 "pppoa vc-encaps") " in my /etc/conf.d/net.
39
40 Is that all I need to have PPPoA working?
41
43 TopperH