From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Different servers behind the same router
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:40:17
1 Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:52:13PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
3 >> On 3 Feb 2009, at 17:43, Momesso Andrea wrote:
4 >>> ...
5 >>> What happens if I decide to switch to the "router" configuration? If I
6 >>> have a single IP for all the machines in the LAN, when someone from the
7 >>> outside will try to connect to homeserver.foo or to webserver.bar, will
8 >>> they be routed to the correct machine?
9 >> No, they will all reach the router's IP address. It will have an option for
10 >> "port forwarding" so that you can forward port 80 to the webserver and
11 >> ports 25 & 110 to the mail server. If you have two webservers behind the
12 >> router then you need to use one to proxy forward to the other.
13 >>
14 >> "NAT" is another Google keyword.
15 >>
16 >> Stroller.
17 >
18 > Is it correct to say that the configuration I alredy have (pppoe and different IPs) is the best choice?
19
20 Since your ISP offers you the option to have two different IP, yes that
21 the best choice. Over here I would have to pay quite some money to get
22 an extra IP. So you're lucky I guess.
23
24 Also, if your ISP allows PPPoA too instead of only PPPoE, use that
25 instead. It's a bit more optimal due to less overhead. But it's not
26 critical or something. Just a little and safe optimization.