From: Miguel Ramos <2008@××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ebuild for recent ATI driver, whom to go to?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:17:44
1 2008/12/11 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>:
2 > for 8.11 there is already a bug open.
3 > for 8.12 the ebuild of 8.11 - edited and renamed works fine (I am using it
4 > since yesterday).
5
6 I'm confused with version numbers. I'm new to the ATI driver.
7
8 Apparently, when you try to get a Radeon HD 3xxx driver from them, you
9 get the 8.12 driver.
10 However, when you try to get a FirePro V5700 driver, you get the 8.543
11 driver (called 8.54.3 on the CCC).
12
13 Now, ebuild version numbers seem to match the 8.54.something logic.
14 However, the 8.552 ebuild is for the 8.11 driver...
15 What is this mess?
16
17 I don't know yet if I should file the ebuild. I called mine 8.543 and
18 it works with the FirePro V5700 driver 8.543 (or 8.54.3). Fetch is
19 broken, I don't know the fetch address.
20
21 What I did was to pick the 8.542 ebuild, remove the patch for kernel
22 2.6.27 (because the 8.543 doesn't need it) and fixed a problem which
23 seems to cause fgl_glxgears not to compile:
24 - glATI.h defines a constant called GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 which
25 collides with another defined in glext.h; by compiling fgl_glxgears
26 with -DGL_GLEXT_LEGACY then glext.h isn't included.
27
28 What is this mess? Are there two branches of drivers (for the Radeon
29 and the FireGL/FirePro)?
30 And what is the logic of the ebuild version numbers?
31 On FreeBSD, each port has one maintainer, is there a similar thing for Gentoo?
34 Miguel Ramos <2008@××××××××××××.name>
35 GnuPG ID 0xA006A14C