From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VIDEO_CARDS setting for 3D Rage Pro
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:16:23
1 Thanks Tero. I think htis email has probably saved me hours and hours
2 of research.
3
4 cheers,
5 Mark
6
7 On 7/15/05, Tero Grundström <tero@××××××××××××.fi> wrote:
8 > Hello,
9 >
10 > I also have this video card.
13 > On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:
14 >
15 > > Converting my last FC machine to Gentoo since it didn't survive an FC2
16 > > to FC4 upgrade.
17 > >
18 > > Questions:
19 > >
20 > > 1) Is the VIDEO_CARDS= setting in /etc/make.conf still considered the
21 > > right way to configure a new machine for a specific card?
22 >
23 > Yes it is the right way but only used by the x11-drm package.
24 >
25 > If you want dri to work you also have to emerge xorg with the
26 > 'insecure-drivers' USE flag. That's right, the dri drivers for this video
27 > card are considered insecure...
30 > > 2) If the answer to #1 is yes then what's the right setting for a 3D
31 > > Rage Pro? (I.e. - where's the list of legal names?)
32 >
33 > The 3D Rage Pro has uses a mach64 chip so the right setting is
34 > VIDEO_CARDS="mach64".
35 >
36 > Finally, here is my video card section in xorg.conf:
37 >
38 > Section "Device"
39 > Identifier "Card0"
40 > Driver "ati"