From: "Tero Grundström" <tero@××××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VIDEO_CARDS setting for 3D Rage Pro
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:56:17
1 Hello,
2
3 I also have this video card.
6 On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:
7
8 > Converting my last FC machine to Gentoo since it didn't survive an FC2
9 > to FC4 upgrade.
10 >
11 > Questions:
12 >
13 > 1) Is the VIDEO_CARDS= setting in /etc/make.conf still considered the
14 > right way to configure a new machine for a specific card?
15
16 Yes it is the right way but only used by the x11-drm package.
17
18 If you want dri to work you also have to emerge xorg with the
19 'insecure-drivers' USE flag. That's right, the dri drivers for this video
20 card are considered insecure...
23 > 2) If the answer to #1 is yes then what's the right setting for a 3D
24 > Rage Pro? (I.e. - where's the list of legal names?)
25
26 The 3D Rage Pro has uses a mach64 chip so the right setting is
27 VIDEO_CARDS="mach64".
28
29 Finally, here is my video card section in xorg.conf:
30
31 Section "Device"
32 Identifier "Card0"
33 Driver "ati"