From: aisha <gentoo.user@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What groups should user "root" be in?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 23:14:45
1 On 21/05/19 10:25AM, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > still hunting down the reasons for my laptop not producing any sound, I
5 > have meanwhile found reports on the web "no sound even though root is in
6 > group audio" or "Dbus doesn't "care" who root is -- it checks the ident-
7 > ity of the account that requested an action, and if that account isn't
8 > allowed to perform that action, the request is denied" [1].
9 >
10 > I can't remember ever having manually added user "root" to any groups
11 > since I installed Gentoo on my laptop (as opposed to adding my own user-
12 > id to quite some groups)m and these are the few groups "root" is into:
13 >
14 > $ id root
15 > uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel),11(floppy),26(tape),27(video)
16 > $
17 >
18 > Should there be more? In particular, should "root" be in group "audio"?
21 Are you running your machine day-to-day as root?
22 That sounds like a recipe for disaster...
23
24 That preaching aside, I do have audio working as a normal user and my groups are -
25
26 $ groups aisha
27 wheel video portage lxc lxd aisha
28 $ groups root
29 root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel floppy tape video lxc lxd
30
31 Fwiw, I only added lxc/lxd to root manually (I think, it's an old machine).
32 Hope this helps, ymmv.
33
34 Cheers
37 > Sincerely,