From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 05:05:38
1 On 2/1/06, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Thanks Peter. That is quite contrary to what most of the other posts
3 > in this thread are saying. Those are all just rumors and myths?
4
5 I think for what would be available for you, me, or ${megacorp} to
6 use, yes, it is rumor and myth. As I mentioned previously, the
7 density of data on modern drives makes surface analysis (by which I
8 mean anything that does not simply read the drive with standard drive
9 electronics and and search the resulting data) very difficult. I
10 would say impossible, but we simply don't know what techniques are
11 available to the NSA or other government agencies to use.
12
13 Again, my *guess* is that with a *very* modern drive where the
14 manufacturers simply cannot squeeze any more data onto the platter,
15 that even the NSA would not be able to recover any data. But it may
16 be that is just what they /want/ us to think...
17
18 I posted this before, but it is the best and most thorough study I
19 could find on this topic:
20
21 http://www.simson.net/clips/academic/2003.IEEE.DiskDriveForensics.pdf
22
23 And another paper referenced in the above study:
24
25 http://www.cryptoapps.com/~peter/usenix01.pdf
26
27 This paper talks about physical scanning of memory devices for
28 encryption keys, so is a bit off-topic (even for this off-topic
29 thread), but it should give you a hint of what kind of effort would be
30 required to try and recover overwritten data from a hard disk.
31
32 Just a quick quote from the Peter Gutmann paper:
33
34 ----
35 Finally, however, the best defence against data remanence problems in
36 semiconductor memory is, as with the related problem of data stored on
37 magnetic media, the fact that ever-shrinking device dimensions (DRAM
38 density is increasing by 50% per year [74]), and the use of novel
39 techniques such as multilevel storage (which is being used in flash
40 memory and may eventually make an appearance in DRAM as well [75]) is
41 making it more and more difficult
42 to recover data from devices. As the 1996 paper suggested for magnetic
43 media, the easiest way to make the task of recovering data difficult
44 is to use the newest, highest-density (and by extension most exotic)
45 storage devices available.
46 ----
47
48 -Richard