From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:04:50
1 On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 21:56:16 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > Again, my *guess* is that with a *very* modern drive where the
4 > manufacturers simply cannot squeeze any more data onto the platter,
5 > that even the NSA would not be able to recover any data. But it may
6 > be that is just what they /want/ us to think...
7
8 There is always room for more data on the platter, simply because the
9 manufacturers cannot push things right to the limit and still guarantee
10 that the drives will still run reliably three years later. Of course, as
11 manufacturing techniques become more sophisticated, tolerances become
12 smaller, so it will be more difficult, but not impossible.
13
14 I'm sure you won't find the NSA HOWTO on recovering data on Google :)
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 ST:TNG Diner - Now Featuring Our All You Can Assimilate SmorgasBORG!