From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_ELOG error
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:58:58
1 On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:52:04 -0700, Grant wrote:
2
3 > > You need to configure ssmtp. Did you do so?
4 >
5 > Looking over /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf, it seems like I need to configure
6 > the mailhub variable? I want to make sure I'm setting up as simple a
7 > system for getting this elog mail out as possible. Do I need to
8 > specify some kind of an SMTP server to get it sent? I thought this
9 > thread was saying using SMTP was optional. I'm pretty confused.
10
11 It will always use SMTP, the only difference is whether portage handles
12 the SMTP itself or passes the work over to sendmail.
13
14 ssmtp is only a gateway, not a true MTA. All it does is pass the mail
15 onto a real MTA for processing, this is the mailhub specified in the
16 config file. The alternative is to specify your ISP's mail server
17 directory in make.conf, but, as Alexander argued, this means you have to
18 configure SMTP separately for each program that uses it, although it is
19 slightly simpler.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Q. How does Batman's wife call him for dinner?
26 A. Dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner dinner - Batman!