From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need some help with switching KDE setup from i915 to radeon graphics
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2016 12:21:25
1 On Saturday 05 Mar 2016 00:10:23 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Hello Fellows,
3 >
4 > My PC had been running on Intel graphics for 1½ years. Finally, I got myself
5 > an AMD R7 370 today and installed it (together with a second set of 16 Gigs
6 > of RAM ^^).
7 >
8 > I could use some help getting it working properly. Here is what I did:
9 > yesterday I enabled VIDEO_CARDS=radeon in make.conf and rebuilt world with
10 > --changed-use. I also reconfigured the kernel to build the Intel driver as
11 > a module and to include the radeon module.
12
13 I believe you need VIDEO_CARDS="radeon radeonsi". Did you read this page?
14
15 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
18 > After installing the card, at first I only had a black screen and found out
19 > (thanks to #gentoo) that I needed a firmware blob. Once that was installed,
20 > I had a KMS-enabled VT on my AMD-connected monitor. Yay.
21 >
22 > Now I'm stuck with a malfunctioning X (or more specifically, KDE, as it
23 > seems). I can run AwesomeWM just fine. But when I try to start KDE, I see
24 > the first of those fading-in progress icons and then the screen goes black.
25 >
26 > I created a test account to have a clean setup of KDE. This starts KDE
27 > partially, only up to a desktop with an empty panel. There is no mouse
28 > cursor to move around and no reaction to shortcuts such as Alt+F2.
29 >
30 > What else could I have missed in my migration from Intel to AMD? eselect
31 > opengl only shows the xorg-x11 option. I had to comment out a modeline which
32 > I set manually in xorg.conf.
33 >
34 > See attached:
35 > - /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/gfx.conf
36 > - /var/log/Xorg.0.log from running startx with .xinitrc containing startkde.
37 > You can see those three blocks of modelines at the end. At around or just
38 > before this point the screen goes dark.
39 >
40 > Can anyone give me a nudge. Or maybe I should as in a KDE list.
41
42 Have you tried booting without a xorg.conf.d/gfx.conf file to see if it picks
43 up the radeon drivers?
44 --
45 Regards,
46 Mick