From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How about ieee 1394 was:USB TV / Video capture devices
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:59:06
1 On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 01:05 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
2 > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:49:40 -0700
3 > Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 14:40 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
6 > > > I am unclear what you mean here. what is a "Analog to Digital S-VHS
7 > > > converter." I suspect it has RCA analog video in, but what comes out?
8 > > > is
9 > > > it DV (like a DV camera format)?
10 > > >
11 > > > If so I suspect you will ned up with a DV format file on your
12 > > > computer,
13 > > > not sure if you can see that "live" but it might in kino.
14 > > >
15 > > > emerge kino and try it.
16 > >
17 > > The Converter has an Analog IN input (RCA-type A/V jack) and output is
18 > > S-VHS Video Out / Coaxial S/PDIF out / Toslink out
19 > > So I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of it, I think I need RCA
20 > > to DV converter (with FireWire port)
21 >
22 > do you mean s-video rather than s-vhs? s-video is still an analog
23 > signal. anyway its not gonna do what we want.
24
25 You are right, I just converts composite video to S-Video; so it will
26 not be much of use to me.
27
28 > analog to dv is an expensive device, but some digital video cameras
29 > have an analog rca input and you can convert old analog stuff to dv by
30 > passing it through the camera. I am not sure if you have to record it
31 > on to digital video tape first and then play it out over the firewore
32 > port, or whther you can simply pass it through.
33
34 Good idea I'll try to see if it works. I've installed the ieee1394 card
35 and tried it with Digial Camera and "kino"; it works perfectly.
36 My Digital Camera has an "AV" port so I'll try to connect the it and use
37 it as a player (dubbing), but as you said I'll have to test if it goes
38 through or I need to record it first, I'll try this sometime this
39 evening.
40
41 > A simple PCI framegrabber will do what you want, but you specified USB
42 > or firewire, so are we dealing with a laptop? If you need a USB device
43 > i pointed out one that will work in my first post, but thats not to say
44 > other usb devices won't work.
45
46 The 400x Microscope (fiberscope) I have connects to a standard TV and
47 the picture is black and white, but I would like to find the simplest
48 solution to connect it to a PC (and Laptop eventually) and take a
49 picture.
50
51 The simplex solution is the best for me so I was looking for USB port
52 since both Laptop and PC have them. If I go with PCI card (be it
53 ieee1394 or any framegrabber) I can only use it with PC.
54
55 QUESTION regarding ieee1394:
56 When I installed the ieee1394 card, it has two 6-pin ports and one 4-pin
57 port.
58 I have connected the Digital Camera to one of the 6-pin ports and I
59 couldn't make it to work with "kino", so I try the other port and it
60 worked.
61
62 I was under impression that ieee1394 cards would work the same as
63 USB-ports; regardless which port I plug my device into it will just
64 work, not so with ieee1394 cards.
65
66 How do I control which port I need to plug the device into and how are
67 they numbered?
68 In "kino" under settings there is IEEE1394 "tab" and has an option
69 "raw1394 interface" option that is set to "0" I've tried setting it to
70 "1" but it didn't work.
73 #Joseph
74 --
75 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list