From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How about ieee 1394 was:USB TV / Video capture devices
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:12:37
1 On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:49:40 -0700
2 Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 14:40 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
5 > > I am unclear what you mean here. what is a "Analog to Digital S-VHS
6 > > converter." I suspect it has RCA analog video in, but what comes out?
7 > > is
8 > > it DV (like a DV camera format)?
9 > >
10 > > If so I suspect you will ned up with a DV format file on your
11 > > computer,
12 > > not sure if you can see that "live" but it might in kino.
13 > >
14 > > emerge kino and try it.
15 >
16 > The Converter has an Analog IN input (RCA-type A/V jack) and output is
17 > S-VHS Video Out / Coaxial S/PDIF out / Toslink out
18 > So I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage of it, I think I need RCA
19 > to DV converter (with FireWire port)
20
21 do you mean s-video rather than s-vhs? s-video is still an analog
22 signal. anyway its not gonna do what we want.
23
24 analog to dv is an expensive device, but some digital video cameras
25 have an analog rca input and you can convert old analog stuff to dv by
26 passing it through the camera. I am not sure if you have to record it
27 on to digital video tape first and then play it out over the firewore
28 port, or whther you can simply pass it through.
29
30 A simple PCI framegrabber will do what you want, but you specified USB
31 or firewire, so are we dealing with a laptop? If you need a USB device
32 i pointed out one that will work in my first post, but thats not to say
33 other usb devices won't work.
34
35 The other option is a webcam device on top of the microscope.
39 > --
40 > #Joseph
41 > --
42 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list