From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge sandbox
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 18:42:50
1 On 6 Nov, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Recent versions of portage have suggested an emerge -e world, so I thought
5 > I'd try it. It got as far as sandbox, which failed with the once-common "C
6 > compiler cannot create executables" error. Of course I
7 > tried "FEATURES=-sandbox emerge sandbox" but that failed with the same
8 > error.
9 >
10 > I wondered what is set wrongly in my environment, so I booted a minimal
11 > installation CD and chrooted into the system, but with the same result.
12 >
13 > Can anyone suggest where my problem might lie? I've attached the log file.
14 > I'm confused by the apparent references in it to the cross-compiler. Google
15 > seems to have only old references.
16 >
17 > This is a dual-Opteron box with a mostly-amd64 setup - only a few packages
18 > are ~amd64. I'm also running an emerge -eq world on another amd64 box,
19 > which has had no problem with sandbox. Same versions of portage and sandbox
20 > on both machines.
23 The lines
24 configure:2292: i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -march=opteron -O2 -pipe conftest.c >&5
25 /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
26 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
27
28 look like a misconfigured gcc.
29
30 Can you emerge any package which requires the C-compiler?
31 Try
32 gcc-config -l
33 and look which gcc is selected and if you can select a different one.
34 Then - with this one selected - reemerge the probably newer
35 version of gcc which was broken.
36
37 I hope this helps,
38 Helmut.