From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc 3.4.x --> 4.1.x : a couple of questions
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:01:21
1 On Friday 19 January 2007 17:10, brullo nulla wrote:
2 > > Dunno about gcc-4.2, you'll have to look at the gnu roadmap to get
3 > > a hint of when they think it'll move closer to a release
4 >
5 > OK.
6 >
7 > > Not at all necessary. The kernel is a free standing block of C code
8 > > and depends only on itself, so ABI issues with other apps simply
9 > > don;t happen. As long as the kernel and all it's modules were
10 > > compiled with the same compiler you will always be fine. (There are
11 > > exceptions of course but with that rule of thumb you can't go
12 > > wrong)
13 >
14 > Yes, but if I keep my 3.4.x compiled kernel and I recompile modules
15 > in Portage with 4.1, there will be problems, maybe (for example, the
16 > vmmon module of vmware-player). Well, I think I'll recompile. I have
17 > other reasons to do it.
20 Hmmm, yes that's correct. emerge -e world will recompile vmware-modules,
21 which will cause problems as you spotted. Kernel recompile is thus
22 warranted
23
24 > > Make sure any kernel modules you may have that are not in portage
25 > > also get recompiled.
26 >
27 > Sure (I shouldn't have). I guess also programs not in portage will
28 > have to be recompiled.
29
30 Again, depends what they are. For example, I use e17 as my wm and while
31 they technically do have ebuilds, they also might as well not be there
32 for all the good they do. I can quite happily emerge -e world and not
33 update e17 and everything still works, at least for that specific case.
34
35 Other apps might be different. Professional audio stuff comes to mind,
36 those apps often include drivers for fancy hardware that isn;t in the
37 mainline trees, etc etc
38
39 alan
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list