From: brullo nulla <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc 3.4.x --> 4.1.x : a couple of questions
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:16:25
1 > Dunno about gcc-4.2, you'll have to look at the gnu roadmap to get a
2 > hint of when they think it'll move closer to a release
3
4 OK.
5
6 > Not at all necessary. The kernel is a free standing block of C code and
7 > depends only on itself, so ABI issues with other apps simply don;t
8 > happen. As long as the kernel and all it's modules were compiled with
9 > the same compiler you will always be fine. (There are exceptions of
10 > course but with that rule of thumb you can't go wrong)
11
12 Yes, but if I keep my 3.4.x compiled kernel and I recompile modules in
13 Portage with 4.1, there will be problems, maybe (for example, the
14 vmmon module of vmware-player). Well, I think I'll recompile. I have
15 other reasons to do it.
16
17 > Make sure any kernel modules you may have that are not in portage also
18 > get recompiled.
19
20 Sure (I shouldn't have). I guess also programs not in portage will
21 have to be recompiled.
22
23 Thanks again,
24 m.