From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc 3.4.x --> 4.1.x : a couple of questions
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:19:26
1 On Friday 19 January 2007 00:24, b.n. wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Quite late :), I'm going to do my homework, that is the loooong
5 > upgrade to gcc 3.4.x --> 4.1.x
6 >
7 > The subject has been widely discussed, so I've just a couple of
8 > questions to be super-safe:
9 >
10 > - I'm going to follow [1] (of course) and [2] (looks nice). Other
11 > useful guides?
12
13 Those two cover everything you will need to know in just about all cases
14
15 > - Is there a new incompatible GCC upgrade going to be unmasked? I see
16 > 4.2 and 4.3 are hard masked, but if there is the suspicion they're
17 > going to be used relatively soon AND they are not binary compatible
18 > with 4.1, I may wait for those. When I did 3.3-->3.4, I waited long,
19 > and 4.1 became stable after a week... :/
20
21 Dunno about gcc-4.2, you'll have to look at the gnu roadmap to get a
22 hint of when they think it'll move closer to a release
23
24 > - Is it mandatory/highly advisable to recompile also the kernel, or
25 > can I postpone? In the first case, when it's better to recompile it
26 > (before all/after all)?
27
28 Not at all necessary. The kernel is a free standing block of C code and
29 depends only on itself, so ABI issues with other apps simply don;t
30 happen. As long as the kernel and all it's modules were compiled with
31 the same compiler you will always be fine. (There are exceptions of
32 course but with that rule of thumb you can't go wrong)
33
34 > - Do I have to emerge glibc 2.4 first and gcc later, or I can have
35 > glibc emerged in the emerge -e system?
36
37 No, just let glibc get recompile along with everything else in emerge -e
38 system. Even if there are some oddities of things still linked against
39 older versions after that step, the following emerge -e world fixes all
40 that
41
42 > - Any other glitch/tarpit I must be aware of?
43
44 Make sure any kernel modules you may have that are not in portage also
45 get recompiled. If you have something like this you already know all
46 about it, so I don;t need to give examples.
49 alan
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list