From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 06:20:56
1 On Thursday, September 03, 2015 01:16:47 AM James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > > Last, I suggest a parallel learning of C/C++ as it really helps
4 > >
5 > > ^this^, after the basics are fully mastered.
6 > >
7 > > netmasks make no sense at all until bitwise operators are fully
8 > > understood. Even CIDR notation is not really obvious until you
9 > > understand what languages like C do with the 32 bit words we call IP
10 > > addresses. All x10 when IPv6 comes into play
11 >
12 > Huh. I find teaching networking, including the intricacies of advanced
13 > protocol design, implementation and debugging, are far simpler if
14 > folks know at least one programming language. Bit manipulations
15 > are but one part of logic, sequential circuits timing and such
16 > of the Computer Engineer's domain. In my experience, if folks read too
17 > much, but do not play with some codes on actual hardware, it all becomes a
18 > giant nebula. I guess I just like the practical side of these issues, to get
19 > folks hooked on hardware.
22 > How a serial port (rs_232) works and the putting ppp over that is very
23 > keen for teaching networking. ymmv. You can also use a protocol analyzer to
24 > see some cool things. Many codes are published and looking at how a
25 > microprocessor handles basic packets is very stimulating and encouraging.
26 > Too bad most kids now days do not get to work on embedded hardware and build
27 > up an executive or state machine and send/recieve data over interfaces.
28 > Granted I worked in the world where assembler was
29 > king (embedded) and assembler folks learning C and tcp/ip were easily amazed
30 > and happy to migrate from assembler to C.
31 >
32 > As Joost pointed out, I guess it really depends on the background of
33 > the student. Being a hardware guy, I guess my focus is tainted....
34 >
35 > So, fair enough, but how long (exactly what are the basics) do you
36 > read before you go to the lab and play? Labs are always more fun
37 > than classrooms, lectures and stuffy old farts.............(gotcha!) ?
40 > cheers,
41 > James
42
43 If you want to base it on programming, I would recommend the following as
44 well:
45 http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/
48 Joost