From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:09:11
1 On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:29:56 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > I detest python, also, but there's no way w/out it.
4
5 > I like python - the language was designed by a mathematician and it
6 > shows. Contrast with perl which was designed by a linguist, and that
7 > shows too.
8 >
9 > As you say you can't run Gentoo with portage without Python, that's one
10 > of the things you know for sure up front.
11
12 What does it matter whether you like the language or not when you are only
13 using software written in it? It only matters is you develop that
14 software. I cannot get on with Perl, but I am not at all bothered about
15 using software written in it.
16
17 If you really have some philosophical or allergenic objection to even
18 having Python installed, you could always use a different package manager.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
25 A. Only one - who gives it to six Californians, thereby reducing the
26 problem to an earlier joke.