From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:15:43
1 On 2013-12-11, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:29:56 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I detest python, also, but there's no way w/out it.
5 >
6 >> I like python - the language was designed by a mathematician and it
7 >> shows. Contrast with perl which was designed by a linguist, and that
8 >> shows too.
9 >>
10 >> As you say you can't run Gentoo with portage without Python, that's
11 >> one of the things you know for sure up front.
12 >
13 > What does it matter whether you like the language or not when you are
14 > only using software written in it? It only matters is you develop
15 > that software. I cannot get on with Perl, but I am not at all
16 > bothered about using software written in it.
17 >
18 > If you really have some philosophical or allergenic objection to even
19 > having Python installed, you could always use a different package
20 > manager.
21
22 If he want's to avoid using programs written in Python, he'll probably
23 have to give up Linux completely.
26 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Oh, I get it!!
27 at "The BEACH goes on", huh,
28 gmail.com SONNY??