From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:02:55
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Paul Hartman wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> I normally do "emerge -uDvN @world" (or in other words "emerge
9 >>> --update --deep --verbose --newuse @world"). Right now, it tells me
10 >>> this:
11 >>>
12 >>> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
13 >>>
14 >>> I also --depclean on a regular basis to remove any unneeded packages.
15 >>> Right now, it tells me this:
16 >>>
17 >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
18 >>>
19 >>> Based on those two commands, I'm led to believe I have a fully updated
20 >>> system. So, then, I am curious why when I do "emerge -e @world" it
21 >>> tells me this:
22 >>>
23 >>> Total: 1432 packages (9 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 14 new, 1407
24 >>> reinstalls, 1 interactive), Size of downloads: 76,235 kB
25 >>>
26 >>> How is that possible? Where do those upgrades, downgrades and new
27 >>> packages come from? What is missing from my traditional "-uDvN"
28 >>> command that is causing me to miss some of those updates?
29 >>>
30 >>> Thanks,
31 >>> Paul
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >> Read a few of the other posts, make sure that @world is including the
37 >> system set. Either just use world with no @ or do a @system and @world.
38 >>
39 >> --depclean should have mentioned that when you ran it too. It does here
40 >> but you may be on a different version than I am.
43 > Thanks for that, I didn't realize there was a difference between
44 > "@world" and "world". I've looked at the sets.conf file but honestly
45 > it is over my head. My "world_sets" file does include @system, though,
46 > so hopefully there was nothing wrong in that regard.
47 >
48 > Thanks,
49 > Paul
54 I think most installs have the system set included in world for now but
55 that may change in the future. As I have posted on -dev, I see the
56 serious need for the sets but I wish to continue using the plain world
57 and it update all the packages that need updating. I think the plain
58 world will be around for a while. There were others that agreed with
59 that thought. As I pointed out, if it has a @ in front, you are in the
60 sets section. If not, then it is the old way.
61
62 Dale
63