From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 21:18:35
1 On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Paul Hartman wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> Hi,
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I normally do "emerge -uDvN @world" (or in other words "emerge
10 >>>> --update --deep --verbose --newuse @world"). Right now, it tells me
11 >>>> this:
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
14 >>>>
15 >>>> I also --depclean on a regular basis to remove any unneeded packages.
16 >>>> Right now, it tells me this:
17 >>>>
18 >>>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Based on those two commands, I'm led to believe I have a fully updated
21 >>>> system. So, then, I am curious why when I do "emerge -e @world" it
22 >>>> tells me this:
23 >>>>
24 >>>> Total: 1432 packages (9 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 14 new, 1407
25 >>>> reinstalls, 1 interactive), Size of downloads: 76,235 kB
26 >>>>
27 >>>> How is that possible? Where do those upgrades, downgrades and new
28 >>>> packages come from? What is missing from my traditional "-uDvN"
29 >>>> command that is causing me to miss some of those updates?
30 >>>>
31 >>>> Thanks,
32 >>>> Paul
33 >>>>
34 >>>>
35 >>>>
36 >>>>
37 >>> Read a few of the other posts, make sure that @world is including the
38 >>> system set. Either just use world with no @ or do a @system and @world.
39 >>>
40 >>> --depclean should have mentioned that when you ran it too. It does here
41 >>> but you may be on a different version than I am.
42 >>>
43 >>
44 >> Thanks for that, I didn't realize there was a difference between
45 >> "@world" and "world". I've looked at the sets.conf file but honestly
46 >> it is over my head. My "world_sets" file does include @system, though,
47 >> so hopefully there was nothing wrong in that regard.
48 >>
49 >> Thanks,
50 >> Paul
55 > I think most installs have the system set included in world for now but
56 > that may change in the future. As I have posted on -dev, I see the
57 > serious need for the sets but I wish to continue using the plain world
58 > and it update all the packages that need updating. I think the plain
59 > world will be around for a while. There were others that agreed with
60 > that thought. As I pointed out, if it has a @ in front, you are in the
61 > sets section. If not, then it is the old way.
62
63 Good point. I think I'll go back to using "world" instead of "@world",
64 since when I say "world" I mean "everything" and "@world" does not (or
65 may not) necessarily mean that.