From: capsel <capsel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HELP! grub stops, only hard reset helps
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:27:28
1 current:
2 hda1 swap
3 hda2 reiserfs /
4 ---previous1---
5 hda1 ext2 /boot
6 hda2 reiserfs /
7 hda3 swap
8 ---previous2---
9 hda1 swap
10 hda2 ext2 /boot
11 hda3 reiserfs /
12
13 swap is 258MB, /boot is about 24MB, / is rest of disk which is 10GB
14 Should I post output of echo -ne "p\nq\n" | fdisk /dev/hda?
15
16 device map:
17 (fd0) /dev/fd0
18 (hd0) /dev/hda
19
20 grub.conf:
21 -------------------------------------------------------
22 #
23 # Sample boot menu configuration file
24 #
25 #root (hd0,1)
26
27 # Boot automatically after 30 secs.
28 timeout 30
29
30 # By default, boot the first entry.
31 default 0
32
33 # Fallback to the second entry.
34 #fallback 1
35
36 # For booting GNU/Linux
37 title Gentoo
38 root (hd0,1)
39 kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda2
40 #initrd /initrd.img
41 ------------------------------------------------------------
42 It doesn't matter which partition layout it is or grub.conf exist it
43 still doesn't work.
44
45 When you start grub from command line as root it shows how much memory
46 it detected. In my case it shows only zeros like this:
47 ------------------------------------------------------------
48 GNU GRUB version 0.96 (0K lower / 0K upper memory)
49
50 [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
51 lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
52 completions of a device/filename. ]
53
54 -------------------------------------------------------------
55 After this it halts and only reset works. I can't type anything or
56 reset by ALT+CTRL+DEL.
57
58 - Lilo works just fine so I can tar my filesystem to disk on USB and
59 change partition scheme.
60 - No option on BIOS about memory.
61 - Laptop (hp pavilion n3390)
62