From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Install PreQualifying Matrix
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 15:39:42
1 Dale <rdalek1967 <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > > Blueness is a wonderful and collegial type of dev
4 > > and is currently seeking input on his 'alpha' ideas::
5 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng_GRS
8 His work is progressing and there are (3) major versions just
9 posted to gentoo-dev.
12 > So this is to create a installer then? Someone built a installer a long
13 > time ago and it didn't work well. Heck, I never could get the thing to
14 > even complete the install and that was IF it would boot at all to even
15 > start the process. It would hang somewhere and then sit there doing
16 > nothing. After that, I found a installer to be useless and a waste of
17 > time. I wasn't alone on that point either. Not long after that, the
18 > installer project died. The current handbook, it works.
19
20 Funny. I just recently took the old 2008 version and installed on old
21 vintage hardware and it worked like a charm. ymmv.
24 > This is the issue as I see it. A few people want a installer to make
25 > Gentoo easier to install. Well, why? After you install Gentoo, you
26 > have to update, maintain and maybe repair that install. A installer
27 > isn't going to do that unless you wait for a new version of the
28 > installer and re-install/update sort of like windoze does. Basically,
29 > you are going to need what is learned during the install to
30 > maintain/repair your system and that is just the start of it. It's that
31 > simple.
32
33 I look at your argument here as "mono-dimensional" as there are a plethora
34 of 'gentoo' systems one can end up with now; a lot has changed.
35
36 Embedded, tablet, gentoo-cell phone, efi, mbr not to mention what the final
37 target is (server, security-appliance, terminal server, CI, vm or container
38 host etc etc). One install semantic does not fit all current nor future needs.
39
40 Besides, if I want to deploy 50 systems for a cluster, one at a time in
41 parallel what do you recommend? via handbook? The modern diversity of
42 hardware options has rendered the gentoo handbook, dysfunctional, at best,
43 imho. ymmv.
47 > Another issue with having an installer. People install Gentoo with the
48 > installer, if it works, and are basically completely clueless about
49 > Gentoo and the effort it takes to run it. I'd be surprised if even a
50 > small percentage that used the last installer are still using Gentoo.
51
52 I am; that's at least one.
53
54 > People use the installer, find out that Gentoo isn't a point n click
55 > distro, get pissed because they actually have to work at it and then
56 > they switch to something else. Does that benefit Gentoo? Not likely.
57
58 So we split off the install support to another group so the good-folks
59 on gentoo-user do not have to be bothered with these sort of
60 installer-folks. My bet is this *attitude* is bullshit and these problems,
61 with an automated install system will be quite manageable by the
62 gentoo-noob-community directly. ymmv. We'll see, won't we? Either way,
63 your participate will be optional; so don't stress out about it.
66 > Gentoo can be a pain and most people don't want that because they don't
67 > want to put any real effort into their OS. When I install Linux for
68 > someone else, I put some sort of Ubuntu or something that they can
69 > handle. Putting Gentoo on a system and expecting them to handle updates
70 > would be . . . well . . . silly. It would be a setup for failure. If
71 > someone wanted to run Gentoo on their puter, I'd sit with them while
72 > they went through the install, with them doing the work and learning.
73
74 Dale, kids, old folk and such blue collar folks run gentoo. I know I have
75 set up probably hundreds of gentoo systems for folks over the years. Many
76 haver gone on to study computer science or EE in school, other keep busting
77 wrenches for a living. The mystic that gentoo is only for the compiler
78 genies of the world is absolutely bullshit, so get that out of your brain,
79 or at least stop spewing that venom as gospel. You have no statistical
80 proof, only one at a time experiences. YES some behave that way. But
81 countless others do not and have not behave that way in the past and
82 currently; and they would appreciate a simple semi-automated install
83 pathway, if not many such options for unattended installs of gentoo.
84
85 To me, gentoo is an emancipation of one's ablity, to both run and optimize
86 software on hardware or virtual; and I run into lots of folks, including
87 recent college grads that just love it. Gentoo is NOT DIFFICULT, once the
88 basic install is accomplished, in my experiences. A frustrating gentoo
89 install does not even come close to learing everything one needs to know
90 about gentoo to manipulated the gentoo system going forward. Nor is
91 it the only pathway to a happy gentoo install.
92
93 Embedded software developers that have little *nix experience readily take
94 to gentoo, because of it's sourcecode nature. There are many of those
95 folks being force into linux in the past and currently. Many of them are
96 older and some have lots of experience with assembler codes. All that
97 I have dealt with are bit agry that somebody did not tell them about
98 gentoo, a decade ago. ymmv.
99
100 > Before I first installed Gentoo way back in 2003, I did my research. I
101 > researched my hardware, all sorts of options and read the handbook
102 > several times. It took me a few tries to get it right but I did. I
103 > don't recall asking anyone for help during that install process. I just
104 > followed the handbook and learned from the few mistakes I made. Later
105 > on, I learned how to customize things to suite my needs. When I built
106 > my new rig a few years ago, I sat down, figured out what I wanted to use
107 > and adjusted the install process to suite that. That effort was on me
108 > not someone else. If I want to use LVM, RAID, BTRFS or something else
109 > that isn't included in the default install handbook, it's on me to
110 > figure out where to insert that part of my install. When a person has
111 > used Linux for a while, they tend to learn about that sort of thing.
112 > Gentoo will pretty much make sure you do.
113
114 OK so that is a valid pathway, maybe 5%>? I worked under many source
115 code license restrictions in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember when
116 BSD* was the open source and linus was experimenting, at best. It was the
117 unix license lawsuts that drove the open source development comunity from
118 *BSD to linus and his experiment (thank you AT&T, SCO, and Sun
119 microsystems.)I know tons of folks in that category, coming from a
120 university background. I was threated with a laysuit myself, personlly
121 be DEC executives, when we deleted Ultrix from a room full of Dec
122 unix workstations, and installed several different versions of X and BSD
123 on them. I had a meeting with them and walk them into other labs
124 where "my kids" had done the same thing to quit a few other unix machines
125 and they did not even believe it was possible. I've dealt with lots
126 of bullshit in my life; it only invigorates me. So, please, please, please
127 get on the train or get the hell out of my way. One way or another
128 *GENTOO is going PRIME-TIME* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
129
130 I ran part of SURAnet's network in Florida. I hacked on proteon routers
131 before there was a cisco. I personally know dozens of folks that use
132 to have on cisco's codes, for free. WE wanted options other than proteon
133 as that company was run by a bunch of stiffs. I've seen large parts of
134 cisco stack not only legally, but in the wild and at semiconductor companies
135 where they build new product for companies like cisco. Much of cisco's tree
136 comes from semi-conductor vendors and it's crap code with
137 many problems, imho. Wanna Compare *nix experience? There are lots of folks,
138 like me, around gentoo. Most *never* give back because the eco_system is
139 bullshit and the heart of the bullshit is the install semantics, imho.
140 Obviously, others have different valid view and therefore gentoo is
141 extraordinarily multi-faceted with a plethora of pathway to gentoo-paradise.
142
143 So we differ on perspective. OK? Yours is vaild to you and is appreciated
144 by others. But, we are 180 degress polar opposites, just do you know.
147 > While I could care less if someone creates a installer, I'm not going to
148 > use it. I also won't recommend that someone new to Gentoo use it
149 > either. If a person needs a installer to get a OS installed, they
150 > really need something besides Gentoo. I doubt they are going to be
151 > happy in the end. That doesn't even touch all the new users that are
152 > clueless coming here and the forums with the same questions that would
153 > be answered if they went through the manual install process. I recall
154 > that back then too.
155
156 The situation is not so monotonically linear as you envision.
157 Users need to learn, some degree of expertise before experiencing
158 the full range of gentoo-derived benefits. Do you think everybody
159 needs to become a mechanic before they drive a really nice/fast/custom
160 ride? No is my belief. So Gentoo enables us to both pursue what we
161 believe in our own comfortable-pathways. I got to fly an airplane
162 (cessna 180) when I was 6 years old. NO license, no hassle, even my
163 mom was was shocked when she found out, I even landed that sucker,
164 on my own. I did have a season bush pilot with me. But it was his
165 idea. He encouraged me, He guided me. And that has made all the difference
166 in my life. Now days you could get your license pulled. But many of
167 us think there are too many nay-sayers and regulators. No wonder our
168 kids do not dream big any more. Me, I say HELL YES TO GENTOO for EVERYBODY!
169
170 > Just my opinion.
171 > Dale
172
173 Your opinion and that of others is greatly respected and appreciated,
174 despite the resolve of my mindset. But, you and others should not continue
175 on the 'brow-beating' pathway that the handbook is the only pathway
176 to gentoo paradise. You have zero proof that the handbook is even needed
177 at all by folks. Certainly those that code in C/C++ and shell have never
178 needed the handbook. Not all that visit/test gentoo are in need of
179 mentoring. Many/Most technically astute folks that I've interacted with
180 look at gentoo's lack of easy install as a filter to discourage usage.
181 The look at it and leave. The handbook does appeal to those in the middle
182 or with lesser skills willing to pursue the handbook way of learning.
183 But millions of folks have learn/used *nix without the gentoo handbook. BSD
184 is probably a better teaching platform anyway. I have never ran into anyone
185 with a little bit of BSD competence that could not install gentoo in a snap.
186 Most did not like a variety of things about gentoo and left. I think the
187 maturity of Gentoo, portage, and the overlay semantics (now on git) will
188 allow gentoo to provide a fresh prospective to *nix folks. Let's face it,
189 the systemd turmoil is dis-lodging tons of folks, many technically astute,
190 from their current linux distros. That has created a wonderful, time
191 limited, opportunity for gentoo to snag lots of technically astute folks
192 into our paradise. But, we must strike hard and fast; and several pathways
193 of easy/trivial installation, will allow those with expertise and otherwise
194 the opportunity to taste, just how sweet and powerful gentoo has become.
195 We're going to shock quite a few folks and were going to add some more 'top
196 notch' devs to our stable of 'show ponies'. ymmv.
197
198 So there are millions, of pathways to *nix paradise. Please stop with this
199 ridiculous belief that the gentoo handbook is the only valid pathway.
200
201 Once we have an easy installer semantic again, you will see what
202 I'm talking about; and you'll have the right (privilege) to not
203 help those that have use the installer and not the handbook.
204
205 OK?
206
207 Can you or the others wonderful folks at gentoo-user think of any more
208 (pseudo) issues or additional PreQualifying Pathway Selection Questions?
209
210 Here are (8) of the current *developmental pathways*, should you
211 want to help::
212
213 [1] http://releases.freeharbor.net/
214 [2] http://bluemoon.freeharbor.net