From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:08:02
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 maxim wexler wrote:
5 > Previously I had a problem with hard drive that turned out was a
6 > faulty IDE controller, not the drive, not the cable.
7 >
8 > Now I can't use /dev/hdb but /dev/hdc is OK. So my set up is
9 > /dev/hda(WinXP) and /dev/hdc(gentoo), ie, WinXP is on the first IDE
10 > as master and gentoo is on the sec IDE also as master. hdd is the
11 > CDROM(sec IDE,slave), to complete the setup.
12 >
13 > So far I've tried every possible permutation of root, rootnoverify
14 > and map. I've tried installing the boot loader on /dev/hda and
15 > /dev/hdc. On hda nothing works(error 21). On hdc the boot menu
16 > appears and I can boot gentoo but not WinXP
17
18 title=Windows XP
19 root=(hd0)
20 chainloader +1
21 >
22 > Error messages: "selected disk does not exist", "not found or not a
23 > block device", "could not find device for boot". Sorry, I can't
24 > recall the exact context for these messages but this will give a
25 > flavor hopefully.
26 Are you sure you're selecting the correct disk? Don't just assume
27 since it's hdc in Linux it's hd2, use tab-completion when you're
28 setting up grub., Have you tried using grub console
29 w/tab-completion? Hit 'c' when you're booted to grub, and try
30
31 grub> root (hd {hit tab to see what's there}
32 It's all the same syntax as grub.conf
33 >
34 > I've tried changing the boot order in the BIOS.
35 >
36 > I can get gentoo to boot if I tell grub it's on (hd0,0)(?!?!) but
37 > WinXP won't boot unless I remove the HD w/gentoo on it and bypass
38 > grub altogether.
39 Where is grub installed currently? The easiest way I've gotten it to
40 work is to install over Window's MBR and use a chainloader +1 line to
41 chainload windows.
44 Lastly What partitions are marked as active/bootable? I assume the xp
45 one is (hda), but what about hdc when you're trying to install grub
46 there? Also, I don't _think_ you can have more than 1 active/bootable
47 disk.
48 >
49 > fdisk can see both drives OK. Both drives appear in dmesg w/o
50 > errors. Both drives appear in the POST screen -- first drive as
51 > '0', second drive as '1'
52 Again, this leads me to believe that grub is seeing the second disk as
53 hd1. Granted; you never said what you called it but that might be your
54 problem.
57 > Maxim
70 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list