From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Ansible, puppet and chef
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:08:08
1 On 17/09/2014 07:46, Hans de Graaff wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:43:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Puppet seems to me a good product for a large site with 1000 hosts.
5 >> Not so much for ~20 or so. Plus puppet's language and configs get large
6 >> and hard to keep track of - lots and lots of directory trees with many
7 >> things mentioning other things. (Nagios has the same problem if you
8 >> start keeping host, services, groups and commands in many different
9 >> files)
10 >
11 > I'm using puppet for small installs (< 10 hosts) and am quite happy with
12 > it. It's wonderful to push some changes and have all these hosts
13 > configure themselves accordingly. Not to mention the joy of adding new
14 > hosts.
15
16 I want the benefits of puppet and the end result it brings about -
17 that's already established.
20 > The configuration can get large, but then again, these are all things
21 > that you are already managing on the host. Better to do it all in one
22 > place, rather than on each individual host with all its associated
23 > inconsistencies.
24 >
25 > Us being a ruby shop I never looked at ansible and I'm not even sure it
26 > existed when we choose puppet.
27
28 Ansible is somewhat new, and reading between the lines it might have
29 been written in response to large complex puppet installs.
32 > One thing you can do to make the deployment easier for smaller scale
33 > setups would be to use a masterless puppet. One less component to worry
34 > about. Just distribute the puppet repository and run puppet apply.
37 Well, I've already decided to not use puppet, I find it over-complex for
38 my needs (not to mind that the language has some confusing parts to it )
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com